Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Just an observation

I've noticed lately that when people say goodbye to dad they're more intentional. Not surprisingly, of course. But, you know how it usually is... a sincere squeeze and a "good to see you... hope to see you again soon... take care..."

Now people are sure to look him in the eye - give him a kiss on the cheek (I'm talking friends for whom that wouldn't be the norm) - tell him they love him.

This past weekend my aunt (mom's sister) and cousin were here for a visit. When it came time for them to go on Sunday afternoon, I noticed my cousin saying goodbye to dad. She gave him a tight hug, held his hand for a while, told him she loved him, even caressed his cheek. She lingered.

Later, we were standing out front for a moment before they got in the car and she said, "Ugh... I don't want to cry. It's just... I don't know when the next time will be that I'll see Kristiina (more on that later), and... Uncle Jack... " Knowing that she most likely won't see him again till heaven, she hugged mom and indeed cried.

I noticed it, too, when dad's younger sister was here a little over a month ago. When he walked her to the door she hugged him and told him she loved him, which isn't uncommon for a sister to do; but she also lingered a bit, searching his eyes.

Saying goodbye is a hard thing... even for those of us who have the hope of heaven and a future reunion. I can't imagine how painful it must be for those who believe this is it...nothing beyond this world. But there is life beyond this world and God promises that whoever believes in the Son he sent, Jesus, the One and Only, they shall not perish but will have everlasting life. (John 3:16) Believe and have hope!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, mom, and grandma living in rural Vermont. “…giving thanks in all circumstances…” 1 Thess 5:16-18