Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Flowers at My House

This post is all about Spring and the flowers we inherited on this property...

There's 10 acres of "mostly wooded" land here. This shot gives a glimpse of the mostly wooded portion, with a lovely cluster of irises here at the edge. At the time, there were just two buds, now it's littered with them, and some are open.


When we were weeding last weekend, we didn't make it this far. You can tell that this bed needs to be cleared out. Take a closer look and see if you see what I see! Yes, it's my latest enemy... stalking me; taunting me, daring me to take another step closer!




It's appeared over here at the stairs, too. Oh, it looks delicate and innocent. But it's sinister!



And I don't know what this is, but it looks guilty and I'm not trusting it.


Anyway, on to more appealing subjects.



We have Lily of the Valley! These remind me of Syracuse. We had them all along the back of our house on Spalding Ave. Who remembers that? Summer picnics and the fields beside the house... those were the days.



Rhododendren getting ready to go nuts! (And a mountain-view, to boot!)



Rhododendren blossoms.



The stone wall out front which Joe is eager to pressure wash! We were clearing out and cleaning up this area (and still have much to do) when I got the poison ivy!



Here's a close up of the pretty orange flowers over there. I'm not sure what they are.



There's this flower with them... and I can't identify it either.



I think these are azaleas. If so, they're a bit sickly looking; like they've been around awhile. We might pull them after this season and plant fresh ones.




Ooh, my Zeila. She's our pretty, pretty, princess; and seen here with one of our big clusters of irises.


They're so beautiful and delicate.

Especially drenched in morning sun!



We're gonna have cherries!



And we're gonna have blueberries!



Make that two different kinds of blueberries!



A healthy, happy peony bud. There are many of these!



Little wild daisies over at the other edge of the woods.


There are 4 or 5 shrubs of Chinese Snowballs (Viburnum) .



The Snowballs again.



Lilacs - the butterfly was a surprise visitor which is why he is, unfortunately, out of focus. He fluttered off before I could get a clear shot.


So, that's that. I am blessed!!

5 comments:

The Farmer's Wife said...

I'm going to try to write this as graciously as I can, considering I'm so jealous that I'm drooling....really? You inherited all those flowers and shrubs?
Beautiful!!!!
(With the exception of your nemisis, of course. Wasn't there an evil villianesse in one of the Batman movies or cartoons called Poison Ivy?)

All your flowers are BLOOMING! Mine are struggling out of hibernation, slowly and crankily, like little old women who have to go down a long flight of stairs to get the morning paper...they WANT to do it, but it's going to require more effort than they had hoped to expend.

Kristiina said...

I love this post! I have the orange flowered bush too. That was the only thing I couldn't identify last year. Those pictures are great! You have nailed the art of shallow depth of focus. It makes your subject really pop! I'm sorry miss poison ivy is mocking you. Now that you've pointed it out, I realize that I have it ALL OVER my yard. Good thing it doesn't bother me but explains why you had a little thing last June. Is it possible for poison ivy to be come tree like or get woody stems? I have a few mangled shrubs that I can't identify but I thought they were too woody to be PI. I'm going to have to research this more! Oh and I don't think that one picture is an azalea. I could be wrong but I thought they had smaller flowers in globe clusters. Maybe I'm mixxing again. :-) In any case, love, love, love this post!

Make sure you check out www.KristiinaSheree.com today. I made my homepage pretty last night. Time to start handing out some business cards!

Dot O said...

Oh Pam, you are going to have such a beautiful garden surrounding you.... I love the colors - such a variety. Irises are one of my favorites. I had two but they disappeared. I think I will have to plant more.

Keep your photos/posts coming. Sorry to hear about the poison ivy, though.....

Take care. Love the view from your new home.

Kristiina said...

Shoot...you were right about the azaleas. I was wrong. :-)

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I can't believe you have so many well-established plants at your new (to you) home. Absolutely gorgeous!

Except for that rotten poison ivy. That's the worst!

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, mom, and grandma living in rural Vermont. “…giving thanks in all circumstances…” 1 Thess 5:16-18