Sunday, March 23, 2008

...inexpressible and glorious joy...

1 Peter 1:3,4 and 8,9

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you... Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

I've been looking for words to adequately explain how I can experience deep sorrow and yet sincerely and gratefully praise God. I've read the passage above numerous times, but last night it washed over me anew and I realized, that explains it.

I find that happy and joyful are not synonyms. Happy is an emotion that floats on the surface of my circumstances and it comes when life is clear and calm. Likewise, sorrow rides in on the dark and turbulent waves. My emotions can change from day to day, sometimes moment by moment. But joy runs deep, is a firm foundation, and is undisturbed by the squalls that kick up on the surface. It's mysterious... an inexpressible and glorious joy!

I see my dad dying and my heart hurts, I cry; but deep within I can praise God because "...In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade - kept in heaven for you..." and so on.

Hallelujah. Be blessed this Easter.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, mom, and grandma living in rural Vermont. “…giving thanks in all circumstances…” 1 Thess 5:16-18