Friday, May 2, 2008

Saying Farewell

Ah... okay, so the week of the move:
Tuesday evening, April 29th, eleven of us (some of Nic and Kristiina's immediate family) had dinner at PF Changs. It was a nice evening, though we missed dad (he liked PF Changs). Wednesday, April 30th, they picked up the big Penske truck. Joe spent the afternoon with them helping them get things loaded - and filled up the truck about half-way. Thursday, May 1st, there were more of us there to help and it's when the majority of the house got emptied and loaded onto the truck and trailer. While the guys (and Kristiina) were doing all the heavy lifting, I kept myself busy cleaning the house behind them so it would be ready for Nic and Kristiina's tenants. Thursday was a very busy, and often stressful, day. We didn't finish until well into the evening. They had hoped to leave Friday, the 2nd, at 5:00 am, but it didn't end up happening until 1:00 pm! Everyone got home too late the night before and needed to be sure to get a good night's rest before they attempted to drive to Vermont... straight through! Friday morning we took care of last minute things, like touch up paint and final mopping.
Then it was time to hop in the trucks and head off. Nic and Gary were driving the big Penske truck, pulling the trailer; Kristiina and Joe were in the Dodge truck with the dogs; and Diane and her friend from RI (since I couldn't go) followed in their car.
I thought I'd be a mess when it was time to hug and say goodbye, but I really did okay. No tears, yet.

Here's a picture story:

Moving is hard work...


The truck is almost full and all this still has to go on! Kristiina says, "we can do it!" (with dad's help - he's good at loading).


Gary and Joe break things down so they'll fit.


Oh my! That's one full truck!


Decide to take a quick break when friends come over to say goodbye.


Kristiina, Dan and Nic just before it's time to hit the road.


And there they go!


Stay safe, my Sweethearts!

See more...

And even at this point... no tears. I was a bit baffled by it. Obviously, that's God's grace at work, again! Later that evening, though, I had a cleansing cry while I prayed for their safety, "God, go with them and protect them..." I was reminded of The Prayer song that played at their wedding:


I pray You’ll be our eyes
And watch us where we go
And help us to be wise
In times when we don’t know
Let this be our prayer
When we lose our way
Lead us to a place
Guide us with Your grace
To a place where we’ll be safe
I pray we’ll find Your light
And hold it in our hearts
When stars go out each night
Remind us where You are
Let this be our prayer
When shadows fill our day
Lead us to a place
Guide us with Your grace
To a place where we'll be safe

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, mom, and grandma living in rural Vermont. “…giving thanks in all circumstances…” 1 Thess 5:16-18