Thursday, July 10, 2008

Three Months in Heaven




It was three months ago today that dad went to heaven. Sometimes it seems like just yesterday; other times it feels like it's been longer than that. Maybe because the months leading up to it were so emotionally charged. I don't know.

The notion that he won't be coming back is still perplexing. It has not fully settled in my heart or my head, yet. And it still seems odd to me that our lives can change so severely and quickly, yet time keeps ticking... life keeps happening. Some events seem worthy of time standing still for a while. Saying goodbye to your dad, and not knowing how long it will be before you join him, is one of those events.

I had a dream about him recently. In my dream I was taking a walk down my street. My street is very, very long and I planned to take a walk all the way to the corner. All of a sudden, dad came up beside me and asked if he could walk with me. I was surprised because I expected him to be too weak. I asked him if he thought he could go that far and he said, "Oh yeah, I'm fine!" He put his arm around me and we walked and talked. That's all I remember about the details, but what stands out was how comforted I was by his company. It was comforting to "see" him healthy and energetic, comforting to "feel" his embrace, and comforting to "chat" with him.
I miss dad... I'll miss dad till my feet no longer walk the earth.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A quote I read today and like...


God gives us the spiritual gifts He wants us to have;
He puts us in the places He wants us to serve;
and He gives the blessings He wants us to enjoy.
-Warren Wiersbe

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, mom, and grandma living in rural Vermont. “…giving thanks in all circumstances…” 1 Thess 5:16-18