Thursday, July 31, 2008

Use SOAP Daily

I just watched this 45-minute video of Wayne Cordeiro, senior pastor of New Hope Church in Hawaii, on the importance of daily bible reading and it's value for enabling us to glean wisdom from the "raw, unedited accounts of the lives of people through the anals of time."

You should go grab yourself a snack and something to drink - put the phone on silent and settle in to watch it. His perspective and presentation is interesting - I don't think you'll fidget.

Bottom Line: He suggests bringing 4 things to our daily "quiet time." Our bible, of course, a pen, a reading plan, and a journal. In your journal, jot down the following:

S - scripture verse that speaks to you
O - observation about the scripture
A - application for your life
P - prayer of thanksgiving or confession regarding what you've just learned

I'm always "doing" some bible study that someone else has authored. They're wonderful and keep me in my bible on a pretty regular basis, but I'm going to give this style of bible reading a try.

I'll let you know how it goes, but meanwhile, watch the video for yourself and see what you think.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, mom, and grandma living in rural Vermont. “…giving thanks in all circumstances…” 1 Thess 5:16-18