Saturday, October 4, 2008

Our Help

I talked with a friend the other day over a cup of coffee. She said she's tired. She's swirling in a cloud of uncertainty, and she just wants to feel grounded. You see, her income is extremely sporadic, and her husband is working a temporary job for a fraction of the income he's used to. They're anticipating leaving the area ...know that they have to... but aren't sure yet where they'll land. There's fear, anxiety, sleepless nights, and she's just exhausted.

Unfortunately, that's a common scenario these days.

Later that afternoon I spoke with another friend on the phone. She said she just wishes it would end; the turmoil - the clamoring - the sad stories.

Our burdens seem so overwhelming at times; more than we can bear. The trepidation is suffocating and the sense of impending doom closes in on us. Where do we go for help? How can we get relief?

It reminds me of a song I first heard on Bring the Rain's blog. The song portrays one who also feels tired, overwhelmed, unable to keep going and in need of rest. One who has trusted the Lord in the past, but now feels abandoned by Him; forgotten. He's at the end of his rope... at the end of himself. Weary.

Then, thankfully, realizes the Lord has been there all along, holding him, comforting him, ministering to him; and while still weary, he'll find his rest in Him.

You can click the link and listen - the lyrics are below.

All I Can Say by David Crowder Band

Lord I'm tired
So tired from walking
And Lord I'm so alone
And Lord the dark
Is creeping in
Creeping up
To swallow me
I think I'll stop
Rest here a while

Chorus: And this is all that I can say right now
And this is all that I can give

And didn't You see me cry'n?
And didn't You hear me call Your name?
Wasn't it You I gave my heart to?
I wish You'd remember
Where you set it down

Chorus: And this is all that I can say right now
And this is all that I can give

I didn't notice You were standing here
I didn't know that
That was You holding me
I didn't notice You were cry'n too
I didn't know that
That was You washing my feet

Chorus: And this is all that I can say right now
And this is all that I can give


Life can be so hard. While an occasional rest (in the Lord) is good, it's tempting sometimes to just collapse in a heap. But we're on a journey and have to press on, not become paralyzed by present circumstances.

Let us lift our heads, raise our eyes toward the mountains; realize that our help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. While we're on this pilgrimage, He'll not let our foot slip, but will protect us and not slumber.

His protection of us does not mean that difficulty will never befall us. Sometimes we have to live with the consequences of our poor decisions... sometimes we're even affected by the consequences of others' poor decisions. But, we're not abandoned; He journeys with us and is a shelter right by our side (excerpts from Psalm 121).






"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you;
he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
~Deuteronomy 31:8

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
and I will give you rest.
~Matthew 11:28

1 comment:

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I had never heard that song before Pam...it is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Angie in OH

About Me

My photo
I'm a wife, mom, and grandma living in rural Vermont. “…giving thanks in all circumstances…” 1 Thess 5:16-18